Royal Mail – recorded delivery goods damaged

On Friday 8th of December 2006 I started the day as many others.  I picked up the mail on the mat, made a cup of tea before going outdoors for the day.  I came home about 4pm to find a package left outside my front door, on top of some rubbish waiting to be dumped at the local tip.

The parcel contained an Apple Ipod Nano that I had purchased on eBay for my fianc?e as a Christmas present!  The Jiffy bag was soaking wet, as were the contents.  I called Royal Mail to complain and was told that I could claim ?32 compensation, if I could prove the postage!

I was also told that it was the senders fault for not insuring it properly.  They then said that with first, second or even recorded delivery, the actual delivery was not GUARENTEED.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  Recorded delivery ? not guaranteed?

I explained that had the item been damaged or lost that would have been the senders fault, but considering that an employee of Royal Mail had just dumped it outside my door this was a different matter and quite unacceptable.

Yet again they refused to compensate me for the full loss!  I am now left with the cost of buying a new Ipod Nano at ?124, with only ?32 back from Royal Mail!  I spoke to the seller, who was very helpful indeed.  She then told me that was why she had sent it recorded delivery.  First I knew of this, as the delivery person had somehow torn off the recorded delivery label from the package!

I called Royal Mail and asked for proof of delivery.  They advised me that they could not track the item until it had been delivered.  Great, so now I am waiting for them to try and prove my signature which I know will be either missing or fake.  I certainly didn?t sign for the package.

A box full of packing material, packagingIf the delivery person tries to forge the signature it is fraud and if they do not get a signature it should surely be classed as tampering with the mail?  Be aware, Recorded Delivery from Royal Mail only means you have asked them to get a signature for the item ? in other words no guarantee it will arrive in one piece.

It appears that their service is fine until you encounter a problem! They are supposed to pop a card through your door and return the item to the sorting office for either collection or re-delivery!

What are you up to Royal Mail? Is this how you treat a customer after you negligently damage their property by just leaving it outside in the rain?  I am totally disgusted and would advise using other couriers in future!

By: Westcliff on sea, Essex

82 Responses

1. Flat rates 29/04/2014 / 2:04 pm

I can't see the rason why we have different prices for first class mail and 2nd class mail. The prices and delivery rate aren't dissimilar. Let's have a flat rate for mail deleivery no matter what.

2. courier1 10/04/2012 / 12:35 am

in the last 6 months ive recorded and taken evidence of 19 letters that had the corners peeled off all thse letters contained cards not one card came untampered and not one ordinary letter came tampered. clearly someone was looking inside. royal mail stated and I qoute

'''' we recieve many complaints like yours where cards/letters have been torn on the corner. I would recommend that royal mail organise tours to see our sorting equiptment as this equiptment actually damages the letters through the sorting process''

really? build a new machine maybe? or as an alternative stop hiring monkies with no morals!

3. gaga 23/01/2012 / 9:36 pm

dont pailnt all postman with the smae brush, its a failure of one person not a buisness !!!

4. ebayahabitimtryingtokick 29/09/2011 / 12:38 am

I have received several parcels via Royal Mail sent Recorded Delivery which have had their labels removed and been delivered as `normal` post. On a couple of them they only removed the front label not the return address label so you could see it should have been Recorded.
    I use online couriers now, much cheaper and better compensation, not always good at collecting on time though

5. chris 28/05/2011 / 8:44 am

I had a package sent to me to be signed for on delivery. It didnt turn up so I checked the tracking number and proof of delivery signature and they said it had been delivered so I checked the signature and it was an old signature from a different date. so they have knowingly falsified the post

6. Paul 20/03/2011 / 10:24 pm

Royal mail have delivered at least two Recorded Delivery items to me in the past month without obtaining my signature. In one case they just put the parcel through the door in the second they just left it on the doorstep. The Royal Mail are a joke, Recorded Delivery is worthless and the sooner they are privatised the better.

7. sami 02/03/2011 / 2:02 am

they forged my signiture as well and for this reason I lost my passport!!!!!

8. simone 15/02/2011 / 1:36 pm

ive just bought an ipod nano but it hasnt arrived yet :/

9. Carol 12/02/2011 / 6:27 pm

I have to say Bil that it would surely only be someone who worked for RM who would try to defend them as their service in reality is atrocious. I think with the increase in post due to internet shopping RM are unable to cope. Instead of employing more people they just make the same amount of employees cope resulting in lack of care due to a shortage of time and and an excess of stress. As for using Special Delivery, this service costs more than most people can afford. I have provided proof of the cost of the service I used but they have still refused to honour their obligation.

10. Carol 12/02/2011 / 6:17 pm

Ive just had similar experience. I sent 2 parcels, 1 recorded delivery and 1 first class and they delivered them both smashed. They were well protected, or at least against normal handling. Royal Mail must actually try to break them Im convinced. I put in a claim form for each and as you say, we are told that we can claim up to £32 for damage. Ive received the reply to one of the claims today and they have rejected it and sent me a book of 6 x stamps. Im furious!! Each item has cost me £14+ and Im expecting the same reply to the other one. I will not be sending anything breakable from now on with Royal Mail.

Add Comment Register