Loss of power on my VW Golf when overtaking

I have owned the car since new and always had Volkswagen carry out all servicing and maintenance.  I have the same old loss of power problem reported by others.  It has recently been loosing power whenever it gets up to 70 mph in 4th or 5th gear, usually when overtaking.

Do these symptoms sound famliar?

Add your comments to the discussion forum

If engine switched off and on again, it goes back to normal (until next time).  The car has also suffered from serious problems starting when cold (Usually takes 20-30 seconds!)  The fault started shortly after a regular service at the Volkswagen garage.  It has been back and they replaced air mass meter (which I paid for).  Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  They then replaced the air mass meter again with a different one – still no good.

the dealer admitted that they didn’t know what the problem was or how to solve it…

The next likely candidate for the problems was a solenoid valve on the exhaust flow.  That didn’t fix the problems either.  Next they tried another electronic sensor linked to air mass meter.  Guess what?  Still the same problems!

They did a full day diagnostic on the turbo and said there were no faults there and that it performed well.  In total there were seven opportunities to fix the fault and they failed every time.  I even drove it to the garage in this state for them to plug in the VW computer which again identified a fault which had already been dealt with twice before.

The dealer admitted that in all honesty, they didn’t know what the problem was or how to solve it.  He said I wouldn’t have to pay for the further work since they hadn’t resolved the problem.

I have now put up with this crappy VW Golf for 3 months and learned to never try overtaking.  Out of the blue I received a bill for nearly 500 on top of the first bill for unnecessary work.  Lesson – My VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI (110) is a pile of rubbish.  DON’T believe people when they praise their Volkswagen Golf!  The car is too complicated even for their “so called” experts to fix and parts and labour are stupidly expensive.

I am going back to my Ford Escort – 230K miles and still going strong; oh and cheap to run with the advantage that I can fix it myself if it goes wrong.

By: Paul

210 Responses

1. VW GOlf 11/09/2014 / 11:22 pm

I've had exact same problem and similar responses from garages. I've now located the problem which is the N75 valve; the turbo is fine but it is this valve that assumes the car is over-boosting once you hit 70mph hence it limits the power. Once this is changed it should fix the problem and your speed should return. Most mechanics will pass it off as turbo when in reality it's a little valve which costs around £35. Try this as your problem sounds exactly like the one I was having.

2. collar 17/07/2014 / 8:25 pm

Do yourself a favor and get a rover 75. most of them have been well looked after, and you've got luxury motoring, 3 or 4 grand buying a late, top of the range car, with all the gadgets you'd get in a VW.

3. boblet 17/07/2014 / 4:20 pm

Dead and Buried.
    You have dredged up an age old Myth. There is not one single instance where a German product, or anything else for that matter is superior to a British product, in a similar price range. However that was not my point. The point I attempted to make, the one that went over your head. The one where I chose not to criticise German "Heath Robertson" Engineering methods. In answering Anonymous. I drew attention to the after sales situation, The fact that a letter of complaint in English, as opposed to French or German, in my opinion was more potent.

4. Dead and Buried 17/07/2014 / 3:10 pm

German engineering equals quality and reliability. English manufacturing equals pieces of crap by lazy halfhearted cowboys.

5. boblet 17/07/2014 / 1:54 pm

The answer is the same one that has always applied "Anonymous", buy British. The car built in Britain gives you access to a superior dealership network. A letter to Ford or Vauxhall can also work wonders. A letter in English to a French manufacture brings only laughter.

6. Anonymous 17/07/2014 / 5:29 am

Hello…please read on…Im the new owner of an SW 307 Peugeot. Recently i had similar faults with turbo issues. I returned my vehicle to the dealership due to the car pulling back all the time. They checked it & said there's a pressure unit problem. They changed a solenoid and guess what? I lost complete power, i was devastated. This problem has now been going on for 3 months, the garage are not prepared to negotiate, leaving me to deal with this solely on my own, what a disgrace. Since then i have booked my car in with a Peugeot expert for diagnosis, and the faults were showing Turbo & EGR valve concerns. Next stage booked Peugeot in to fit new turbo and still no power!!! Please can anyone Help???? Much appreciated.

Add Comment Register