Ford Focus starting problems, car just won’t start

I bought a Ford Focus 1.8TDCi brand new in April 2003 it has now done 22,000 miles with a full Ford service history.  However, on the 14th of May 2007 the car began to have quite pronounced problems starting from cold.

The RAC took my car to a Ford Dealer I didn’t get it back until 19 June 2007 (yes it took them just over a month to get it to start and then they had to ‘test’ it, so they had it almost 5 weeks in total!).

The total bill for the work came to 1919.22 during which they fitted a new battery, PCM module, fuel injection pump, crankshaft sensor etc.  You could have knocked me down with a feather at this point.

Starting problems, dealer blames Ford diagnostics

When I queried the bill they said Ford told us to fit these parts due to readings off the diagnostics on the fault code reader.  On the 27th of June and only a week after I got it back, I had exactly the same starting problems, i.e. after a short run from cold, switched off engine which then just refused to start again.

Ford focus starting problemsJoin our discussion forum

I feel that I have been ripped off and the Dealer blames Ford diagnostics, meanwhile Ford says that it is down to the dealer.  Is this just a big game to Ford and am I just caught in the middle?

Can anyone tell me what to do here and does anyone know exactly what causes starting problems on the Ford Focus?  I’m at a loss with this because it would seem that FORD themselves and their experts do not have a clue, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By: GK

186 Responses

1. boblet 26/10/2014 / 1:07 pm

D. Did the garage who changed your fuel pump change the fuel filters also? If not get this done. If it cures the problem, get your filters changed regularly. I must point out all garages charge for this job but none actually do it. It might be that you have picked up some dirty fuel.

2. Dawn 26/10/2014 / 12:34 pm

My Focus had a new duel pump in January 2013. it has also had a new starter motor in the last three years. My car starts then it will loose power and stop and will not restart for an hour. The garage have changed the fuel relay switch, put a new breather pipe on. I has a new battery and the plugs and leads have been checked. It has also been on a fiagnostic machine where no faults are shown. I have lost my confidence in taking the car out on my own, as that garage have said they think they have fixed the problembut it has stopped again. Any ideas, could the fuel pump be faulty and would the garage still cover it?

3. lisa 18/10/2014 / 4:54 pm

I changed petrol filter on my ford focus 2009 an now there's no petrol coming thru so my car wont start. Am I doin somethin wrong

4. steve 07/11/2013 / 1:14 pm

won't amp is a Ford Focus MK1 98 1.6 Alternator petrol 70amps or 80amps

5. HAZ 20/10/2013 / 8:17 am

The glow plug indicator light is erratic. On switching when Glow plug indicator light of a TDCI diesel car doesn't glow then engine not start, keep the car for sometimes Glow plug indicator light will glow and the engine will start.

6. HD 16/10/2013 / 1:08 am

We have had starting problems with our 2009 Ford Focus diesel TDI for a year on 8 occasions. The Ford dealer decided it was due to using super market fuel as it started when they changed the fuel filter. That cost over £200 including the towing to the garage. About 3000 miles later, same again. Different one man business, small local and usually first class, called on to help.
    Advised we had used supermarket fuel as it started when filter changed again.
    (How come all these cars who queue up at supermarket petrol stations are not stranded too?).
    1300 miles later same again, this time we had been careful to fill up at top fuel stations – the inconvenience can be imagined. Change of filter and it started.
    Short time later repeat of non starting.
    Our man was on holiday so we tried another small local garage. He replaced the fuel filter, it started however he at least applied diagnostic test and said there was still a problem somewhere.
    He investigated immobiliser and cleaned and adjusted wire connectors.
    Short time after didn't start again.
    Finally our small local garage man after working all day on the car has found the EGR valve was faulty, he replaced it and the engine started, put the old one back on and it didn't start.
    So hallelujah we think this dedicated garage mechanic may have solved the problem!
    So anyone else in same situation go for the EGR valve!

We have spent well over a £1000. The most maddening thing is these Ford Dealers who when they do not really know the cause of the problem just change the fuel filter and say it is "supermarket fuel" rather like a doctor saying it is a virus!

Add Comment Register