Charity parachute skydive, but who pays?

In June last year I did a skydive to raise money for a charity.  I particularly wanted to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Relief but unfortunately they do not support extreme sports, their insurance doesn’t cover that.  So I decided to do it off my own back.

I phoned up my local parachute centre at Weston on the Green to request information on the courses they do.  I decided I would do the solo skydive as it was more daring than a tandem.  I also decided that I was going to pay for it myself, as it was something I had always wanted to do anyway.  That way at least all of the money I raised would go to my chosen charity.

Skydiver in freefallAs I was walking out of my local sports centre the other day, I noticed a poster about doing a charity skydive for Mencap.  I thought that I’d love to do it again but go one better and do an Advanced Free Fall course.  And even better, I could raise money for a charity whilst doing it, so I had a look at their website.

However, I was horrified to discover that you need to raise a minimum of £530 and which only around £140 will actually go to the charity because they take the cost of the course and booking fee out of the money raised.  I have to say that I didn’t actually find this information on their website.  I just did a search under Google for charity skydive’s to find out.

I think that this is terrible, as people have sponsored you thinking that their money is actually going to charity when most of it actually isn’t but is going towards the individual have a few minutes of thrills.

If you really want to do a skydive and want to raise money for charity, pay for it yourself.  Don’t fool people into thinking that their kind sponsorships are going to charity.

43 Responses

1. collar 09/03/2014 / 4:22 pm

Well When I done one last year I paid for it out of my funds. Yes, the prices are terribly high, but no more so than for a charming holiday abroad. What I object to is the fact that you have to be able to get double for the charity, in effect and you raise aweness with you're work on the QT. I believe that the actual flight of the aeroplane is not very good nowadays – but unfortunately as my legs are deteriorating and my body was dropping, it looked like I will have to buy a prosthetic limb… asssuming I can get one of course.

2. Busy 09/03/2014 / 1:00 pm

I understand everyone's views on here. I want to do a charity tandem skydive to raise money for charity. I will add as much as I can to pay for the jump but my funds are limited. The main reason I want to do a jump is because of the other thing I don't have a lot of- time. I can't spend a couple of hours each day training for an endurance event or organising a charity event as I have 3 small children. I will be able to get family to look after my kids for a few hours on one day. I will spend a lot of time gathering sponsorship with my kids in tow and help to raise much more than the 'minimum'.

3. Yazz 27/06/2011 / 2:39 pm

I was thinking about a charity skydive for autism. glad I read this. now I know I have to do a lot more research…
    thanks for the info.
    but you know what. it kinda makes me sick that "charities" take more of the money donated for themselves and all of these hidden fees, rather than giving it to the people they're supposed to. where's BBCs panorama when you need them?

4. Appo 24/03/2011 / 3:18 pm

If you inform people that a proportion of their hard earned cash is funding your jump and they are happy with it,fine.The problem is when people are not informed and are misled into thinking that all of their money is going to the cause.I think morally you should pay for your skydive,like everything else in life,if u can't afford it,don't do it!!!do a 5k instead!

5. Sah123 25/02/2011 / 9:01 pm

I totally agree. I will be doing a sky dive for Lung cancer and will be paying for the sky dive myself so any money raised will go straight to the charity!!!

6. old but still grumpy 22/10/2010 / 10:40 pm

When I hear about a charity parachute jump I always think the annoying person who pesters you to sponsor them should be pushed out of the plane without the parachute.

7. Sarah 22/10/2010 / 5:59 pm

If you look through JustGiving there are many sponsored jumps but not many mention that the fee is deducted from the sponsorship money you are asked for.

Maybe it should be compulsory to show what deductions are being made?

Add Comment Register